Amartya Kumar Sen came into this world on the 3rd of Nov, 1933. He is an Indian economist and philosopher, who has taught and worked in the UK and the US.
Amartya Sir has made contributions to the welfare of the economics, social choice theory, economic and social justice, economic theories of famines, decision theory, development economics, public health, and measures of well-being of countries.
A poem was written by Bijay Kant Dubey on him-
Rather than your personal life
Punctuated by the arrival of three ladies,
Nanabaneeta Dev Sen
But the marriage broke as for your departure to foreign
And thereafter married you Eva Colorni in 1973
But she passed away untimely
And finally turned you to Rothschild
And the rest I do not know
And from Nabaneeta you had two daughters,
Namely, Antara and Nandana
And from Colorni who died of cancer,
Two children, Indrani and Kabir
And from Rothschild,
I do not know it all.
The credit also goes to those
Who made him the professor and head
Of the department of economics
At a very young age
And to your teachers
Who recognized and supported you
Think it, had they not,
What would it happen,
The JNU lobby too helped you grow
And the support of Rothschild too
And in the award to him,
I find the extension of the papers
Of so many talented Bengali economists
Who could have risen, but better served Bengal?
Currently being a Thomas W. Lamont University Professor, and Professor of Economics and Philosophy at Harvard University. He had formerly served as Master of Trinity College at the University of Cambridge. The proud moment in his life was when The German Publishers and Booksellers Association awarded him the 2020 Peace Prize of the German Book Trade for his pioneering scholarship addressing issues of global justice and combating social inequality in education and healthcare.
Awards and Honours
- The Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Sciences in 1998.
- India's Bharat Ratna in 1999 for his work in welfare economics.
- Order of the Aztec Eagle,2012
- Chevalier of the French Legion of Honour, 2013
- 25 Greatest Global Living Legends in India by NDTV, 2013
- Top 100 thinkers who have defined our century by The New Republic, 2014
- Charleston-EFG John Maynard Keynes Prize, 2015
- Albert O. Hirschman Prize, Social Science Research Council,2016
- Bodley Medal, 2019
- Friedenspreis des Deutschen Buchhandels,2020
- Princess of Asturias Award,2021
Books Written By Him
- The Argumentative Indian: Writings on Indian History, Culture, and Identity(2005).
- Identity and Violence: The Illusion of Destiny(2006).
- Imperial illusions: India, Britain, and the wrong lessons.
- Markets, money, and capital: Hicksian economics for the twenty-first century.(2008)
- The Idea of Justice(2010).