2 min read
Quotes by Amitav Ghosh
0 Bookmarks 478 Reads0 Likes
- "Climate change is like death, no one wants to talk about it."
- "The government is to you what God is to agnostics - only to be invoked when your own well-being is at stake."
- "It is by worrying about adversity that people survive; complacency brings catastrophe."
- "That unthinkable, adult truth: that need is not transitive, that one may need without oneself being needed."
- "Hold a bottle by the neck and a woman by the waist. Never the other way round."
- "Nobody knows, nobody can ever know, not even in memory, because there are moments in time that are not knowable."
- "[T]hat state, love, is so utterly alien to that other idea without which we cannot live as human beings --- the idea of justice. It is only because love is so profoundly the enemy of justice that our minds, shrinking in horror from its true nature, try to tame it by uniting it with its opposite [...] in the hope that if we apply all the metaphors of normality, that if we heap them high enough, we shall, in the end, be able to approximate that state metaphorically."
- "I know nothing of this silence except that it lies outside the reach of my intelligence, beyond words - that is why this silence must win, must inevitably defeat me, because it is not a presence at all."
- "To use the past to justify the present is bad enough-but it's just as bad to use the present to justify the past."
- "How was it that no one had ever told her that it was not love itself, but its treacherous gatekeepers which made the greatest demands on your courage: the panic of acknowledging it; the terror of declaring it; the fear of being rebuffed? Why had no one told her that love's twin was not hate but cowardice?"