COVID-19: 21-Day Nationwide LockdownJune 16, 2020
Prime Minister Modi on Tuesday, 24 March, announced a nationwide lockdown starting midnight on 25 March for 21 days to curb the spread of COVID-19.
In his address, PM Modi announced that Rs 15,000 crore have been allotted for coronavirus testing facilities, PPEs, ICUs, ventilators and training medical workers.
Earlier, Kerala and Maharastra reported 107 and 105 positive cases respectively, the highest in the country.
The Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare on Tuesday reported that the total number of positive cases in India has risen to 519, with 470 active cases.
The Civil Aviation Ministry on Monday announced that domestic commercial airlines shall cease operations from 24 March midnight till 31 March.
- As many as 30 states and Union Territories have ordered complete lockdown in the wake of coronavirus outbreak
- The Supreme Court on Monday said that it will not hold hearings in person till further orders
- The Lok Sabha was adjourned sine die due to coronavirus, two weeks ahead of schedule
- PM Modi on Monday said the COVID-19 is a lifetime challenge, which needs to be tackled through new and innovative solutions
- With 139 deaths in one day, the number of fatalities in the United States crossed 550 on Monday night
- The total number of coronavirus cases across the globe stands at at least 3,50,000, according to AFP
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Tuesday announced a 21-day nationwide lockdown to fight the coronavirus pandemic. Here are the top statements he made in his address:
“Cornavirus has made many powerful countries helpless; challenges are increasing despite all efforts.”
“Experts are saying that 'social distancing' is the only way to tackle coranavirus.”
“If we will be negligent towards observing social distance India will have to pay heavy price.”
“This lockdown is in a way curfew and would be more stringent than Janta curfew.”
“One step outside can make way for coronavirus into your house.”
“With folded hands, I appeal to people not to go out of their homes.”
"If we won't follow the nationwide lockdown for 21 days, we will be pushed back by 21 years.”
“This is time for patience and discipline; I appeal to you with folded hands to remember people putting their lives at risk for our safety.”
“All steps being taken by central and state government to ensure supply of essential items.”
“Rs 15,000 crore allotted for coronavirus testing facilities, PPEs, ICUs, Ventilators and training medical workers.”
“I have full faith that we will emerge victorious from this challenge.”